Federal and state laws require that international students maintain adequate health insurance while attending Ronald Reagan Secondary School. Health insurance is mandatory at RRSS for international students and their accompanying dependents (spouse and/or children). RRSS requires health insurance for international students for several reasons, including:
· Health care can be very costly in the US.
· The US does not have a national health care plan.
· Health services may be restricted if you do not have health insurance.
While many other countries bear the expense of health care for their residents, individuals in the United States are responsible for these expenses themselves. A single day of hospitalization can cost thousands of dollars. A good insurance policy gives you access to excellent medical facilities and provides protection against the enormous costs of health care in the U.S.
Fulfilling the Health Insurance Requirement
The requirement may be fulfilled in one of two ways:
- If you already have a comparable health insurance plan, you must complete a waiver form and provide the school with documentation.
- If you don't already have a comparable health insurance plan, you may purchase the RRSS Student Health Insurance Plan or you may buy coverage other than the RRSS plan, but it must meet established waiver criteria.
RRSS International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP)
All matriculated international students in F-1 status are suggested to purchase the RRSS International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP). Review the details of the plan carefully, including the effective dates of coverage. We advise you to purchase this insurance for the entire year so that you will be covered whether or not you are at school breaks.
If you arrive in the U.S. before the effective date of the RRSS insurance plan, you should buy supplemental insurance to cover you during the uninsured period. Make every effort to be insured during your entire stay in the U.S., including your vacation time and after graduation if you stay for a period of time before your college has started.
Eligibility to Waive the ISHIP Requirement
The requirement that you purchase the RRSS International Student Health Insurance Plan may be waived only if you meet certain eligibility criteria and you have comparable insurance that is valid in the U.S. Only students who fit into one of the following categories are eligible for an insurance waiver:
- Student funded by government scholarship, either from home government or U.S. government.
- Student receiving health insurance benefits provided by the U.S. employer of his or her parent, spouse, or domestic partner.
The insurance must provide a monetary minimum of $200,000 or more per medical condition per policy year, medical evacuation (at least $10,000) and repatriation of remains (at least $7,500).